Facelift surgery can help smooth wrinkles and tighten loose skin. While the procedure is considered extremely safe when performed by a qualified plastic surgeon, many people who consult us ask if there are other, non-surgical treatments they can try first.
If you’re seeking an alternative path to reducing the appearance of wrinkles and sagging skin, you might be interested in exploring treatments like:
- FaceTite radio frequency skin tightening
- SCITON® erbium laser skin resurfacing
- LiteLift® is a “mini-facelift” performed under local anesthesia and gentle sedation. It’s best for those who only need minimal improvement around the lower face.
Looking for yet another great way to put off or avoid plastic surgery? Adopting a healthier lifestyle that includes a better skincare routine can enhance your natural beauty and prevent aging skin. Lastly, you can complement your at-home skincare regimen with other facial services from Napa Solano MediSpa, like microneedling, hydrafacials, micro and other chemical peels, and jelly mask cleansing facials.
When to Consider a Facelift
Most people start looking into cosmetic surgery when they hear friends and relatives talking about it. It sparks an interest in what they might look like with an improved jawline and fewer wrinkles.
In most cases, the best age for a facelift is in your 40s, 50, and 60s, when aging signs become more noticeable and prevalent, and you begin to see an increase in fine and deep lines, wrinkles, and sagging skin. That said, there’s no specific “best” age for a facelift, as everyone’s face ages at different rates. However, the best time to consider a facelift is when you’re bothered by the signs of aging and non-surgical treatments are no longer producing the results you desire.
Keep in mind that the longer you wait to have cosmetic surgery, the work will be more extensive, and the results will be more noticeable. Having surgery at a younger age comes with some additional benefits, too:
- Any surgery, including plastic surgery, is generally safer the younger you are.
- Your body heals more quickly when you’re younger.
- Results are less dramatic.
No matter what route you choose, you should not make the decision to invest in cosmetic surgery lightly. It’s not the solution to an emotional upheaval or a way to get the latest celebrity look.
Before making up your mind, you should give a lot of thought to:
- Your expectations. Do you hope plastic surgery will turn you into a model or a sexier version of yourself at 40? That isn’t what happens. But it can boost your confidence, which can lead to positive changes in your life. People who report the greatest satisfaction after a facelift are those who keep expectations realistic and do the procedure for their own well-being.
- Whether you can afford it. Elective procedures like facelifts are rarely if ever covered by health insurance. And you don’t want to settle for a bargain procedure. A facelift is a time and financial investment. Some surgeries are more complex than others, and they may include additional procedures. Talk to your cosmetic surgeon about all your options and what the final costs will be before making up your mind.
- The risks and recovery time. Every surgery comes with risk, and recovery times differ depending on the procedure and what you do to assist your healing post-surgery. You should discuss these items at length with your plastic physician.
As mentioned, people often choose to have other cosmetic facial procedures such as browlifts, eyelid lifts, and neck lifts done at the same time as their facelifts. This is often more effective than having multiple surgeries over an extended time.
Can a Skincare Routine Work Like Cosmetic Surgery?
Beware of skincare products that claim to work “just like cosmetic surgery.” No product can do that. However, a comprehensive skincare routine that includes well-formulated, proven products can make a significant difference in your skin’s appearance.
The skilled and compassionate aestheticians at Napa Solano MediSpa perform a range of services that pamper your skin and keep it looking younger longer. While these non-surgical treatments won’t give you the dramatic results of a surgical facelift, they can be highly effective in improving wrinkles and deep creases, lost facial volume, and skin tone and texture.
Plastic Surgery or Improved Skincare Routine?
Ultimately, the decision to invest in a facelift or not is deeply personal. And while other, non-invasive options are available, plastic surgery can be an excellent choice if you want improved facial definition and a more sizable youthful appearance.
Our best advice is to take your time before making up your mind. Do your research and then talk to one of the trusted surgeons at Napa Solano Plastic Surgery about what you’d like to have done. Our doctors have been providing plastic surgery care, including facelifts, to Northern California patients since 1984. During your consultation, your surgeon will carefully and thoroughly walk you through the procedure, so you feel informed and empowered to make the right decision for yourself.
To learn more or to get any other questions you might have about facelifts vs. better skincare routines answered, contact Napa Solano Plastic Surgery today.